A group of medical professionals wanted to assist orphan and other needy children in Uganda to attend school by providing scholarships and sponsorships. Two of our founding members had previously worked in Uganda. In 2008, the not-for-profit organization, HEAL International, was incorporated in Edmonton, Alberta.
In the early years, many options were explored to enable HEAL to help the most vulnerable children in the region. A working relationship was formalized with Youth Encouragement Services (YES), a Ugandan NGO in Fort Portal. Over time, other projects were brought on, all with the aim of ensuring access to education and opportunities for sustainable livelihoods for vulnerable children. Relationships were built with local education and health departments, and local community leaders. Members of HEAL International have strong connections to the people in Uganda and travel frequently to ensure that projects are relevant to local needs and to monitor these projects.
HEAL currently works with local partners on the following projects:
- The Manna Rescue Home (an AIDS orphanage)
- Child Sponsorship (to assist children to attend school)
- Youth Scholarship Program (post-secondary school scholarships program)
- Learning Beyond Borders school-to-school partnerships
- Peer Education Kabarole for youth health education
- School construction in partnership with communities in underserved areas.